Plans for Next release (or one after)
- Adjust accented characters from previous imports
- Continue tasks on the TODO list below
Sans Extra Light (wip)
- X-weight: 92 and curves 97, caps 97 and curves 101
- Y-weight: 76, caps 82
- super/subscript 62%X 50%Y of the skeleton
- find ways to preserve hinting from Sans
- Sans - needs to be hinted before it could replace current characters. Should we have a cursive a or not, this could be negative for readability (looks like o or ɑ), it can always be accesible through the salt OpenType feature.
- Serif - modified a, e, g, q, v, w, y, z, ae, oe
Superscripts characters or Modifier letters seems to be
- Scale 63% X 56% Y; Move 668 Y for all fonts except
- Scale 63% X 55% Y; Move 684 Y for Serif Bold
They do seem light because of the geometrical scaling. They should probably be redrawn with appropriate weight.
- add diacritics placement to present script (Latin, Greek & Cyrillic, Armenian and Tifinagh)
- add below-mark, and basic diacritics to all.
- add overlay, topright, ogonek and cedilla.
- Sans, Serif and Mono
- African Latin characters - Fix those imported from Verajja and add them to Sans Mono and Serif
- ʼ ǎ Ǎ ă Ă ạ Ạ ɑ Ɑ (SIL: ) à À ä Ä ā Ā ḅ Ḅ ɓ Ɓ ć Ć č Č ḏ Ḏ ḍ Ḍ ɖ Ɖ ɗ Ɗ ə Ə é É ē Ē ɛ Ɛ ẹ Ẹ ë Ë ƒ Ƒ ɠ Ɠ ɣ Ɣ ɦ ḥ Ḥ ĩ Ĩ ị Ị ï Ï ɨ Ɨ ɩ Ɩ ƙ Ƙ ḷ Ḷ ṇ Ṇ ñ Ñ ɲ Ɲ ŋ Ŋ ó Ó ō Ō ɶ Œ ø Ø ọ Ọ ö Ö ɔ Ɔ ṕ Ṕ ɍ Ɍ ɋ Ɋ ɽ Ɽ ɾ š Š ṣ Ṣ ʃ Ʃ ṯ Ṯ ť Ť ṭ Ṭ ū Ū ű Ű ụ Ụ ʉ Ƀ ü Ü ʌ Ʉ ʋ Ʋ ŵ Ŵ ⱳ Ⱳ ẅ Ẅ ƴ Ƴ ƶ Ƶ ẓ Ẓ ʒ Ʒ ʕ ʔ Ɂ a̱ A̱ bʼ Bʼ ʼb ʼB chʼ Chʼ dʼ Dʼ ʼd ʼD dh Dh dʼy Dʼy e̱ E̱ ɛ̈ Ɛ̈ g̣ G̣ hʼ Hʼ i̱ I̱ ʼj ʼJ kʼ Kʼ kʼw Kʼw ʼl ʼL mʼ Mʼ n̄ N̄ ngʼ Ngʼ nh Nh ny Ny o̱ O̱ ɔ̈ Ɔ̈ pʼ Pʼ ɍ Ɍ th Th tsʼ Tsʼ u̱ U̱ ʼw ʼW ʼy ʼY ̀ ́ ̂ ̃ ̄ ̆ ̇ ̈ ̌ ̕ ̣ ̱ ̵ ᷅ ᷆
- fix OOo for Latin diacritics
- add more complex IPA stuff --- need context sub instead of chain sub for diacritics.
- add U+02CE, U+02CF, U+02D7, U+02EC, U+02ED, U+02F7, U+0346, U+0347, U+0348, U+0349, U+034A, U+034B, U+034C, U+034D, U+034E, U+0354, U+0355, U+035C, U+0362, U+1DBF, U+1D6C-U+1D76, U+1D8F, U+1D90, U+1D92, U+1D99, U+1D9A, U+1D91, U+2016, U+203F, U+274D
- get rid of precomposed characters' ligatures of composed ones (maybe not, add anchors anyway)
- add features: old style digits, small caps, ordinals, fractions, denominator and numerator, superscript, etc. --- need glyphs: small caps != lowercase capital letters. (also need a renderer that handles them)
- smallcaps and c2sc - compare current smallcaps like glyphs
SIL Graphite is a renderer. It takes its own set of position and substitution tables. It is possible to add graphite instructions to DejaVu Font, these will work with Graphite, but not change anything to systems without Graphite. There is a good port of graphite on Linux, it already works on Windows and Mac OS X. An extension for Pango is usable, and on for OpenOffice is on it's way.
- OT features translated in Mac Os 10.4: liga, dlig, sups, sinf, zero, ital, trad, jp78, jp83, expt, nlck, ruby, pwid, fwid, hwid, twid, qwid, palt, halt, vert, vrt2
- Those thar aren't: mark, mkmk, mset, nukt, akhn, rphf, blwf, half, pstf, vatu, pres, blws, abvs, psts, haln, blwm, abvm, dist
- Other fonts, test page
- Graphite would allow the fonts to do smart stuff like Doulos SIL on Graphite. What IPA should look like, with this file
- PanAfrican Localisation - needs info and evaluation of fonts for African languages
- MS Stuff on diacritics
- Diacritics wiki - great source of info for diacritics for European languages, needs info for other languages, especially Non-Roman Scripts, and African Latin scripts
- must read: Problems of diacritic design for Latin script text faces
Other Free fonts
- Junicode, has many IPA characters, African characters and diacritics in Regular, many missing in other bold or italics. Old English style.
- Freefont, Savannah project page, diacritics placement in many precomposed chars is improving, some IPA/African chars present depending on the font, diacritics anchor mark in progress, included in many distribs.
- Computer Modern Unicode fonts
- not maintained/improving
- MgOpen Fonts, OK screen fonts (automatic hinting, lack of good kerning), needs more IPA/African chars as well as diacritics placement, currently adding more typefaces.
- MgOpen Cosmetica (like Optima)
- URW fonts: URW Garamond, URW Palladio (like Palatino/Book Antiqua), URW Classico (like Optima), URW Gothic, URW Bookman, Nimbus Sans/Serif + Condensed, etc. Need better hinting, more language support as well as combining marks support.